Wednesday 29 January 2014

FFC23

Hi there,

I know it seems like Christmas just ended, but Festive Friday is kicking off the year with another challenge. This is a great way to prep ahead of time, making seasonal cards throughout the year, rather than racing to make them during an already busy season. The challenges will be a bit different this year, with just a picture used as inspiration, leaving the interpretation open to whatever you choose to take from it. Lets take a look at the current challenge photo:

I love this photo. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the tree branch covered with snow and, of course, the pop of red from the barn against the muted background.
I'm not sure how I arrived at this design, but I really like the geometric look of it. I just started with stamping some components, and playing around with the placement to find some balance. I'm on a bit of a vellum kick this week! I'm using up my scraps. I stamped the tree in smokey shadow, then used a Versa marker to add some embossed snow to the branches. I stamped a woodgrain background with grey on red to pull in some red barn "feel". Initially, the red  was one bigger piece but it was too big. Turning it sideways and slicing it up made it a whole lot more interesting. I stamped the greeting on a vellum scrap because I wasn't 100% decided on the right placement, and I thought the red would be more true than if I had stamped it directly on the grey cardbase.


That's all for today.
Thanks for stopping by,
T

Supplies
Card stock: soft stone (PTI), poppy parade (SU), vellum (Recollections)
Ink: smokey shadow (PTI), smoky slate and poppy parade (SU), Versa marker
Stamps: branch out (SU), signature christmas (PTI), woodgrain background (Stampabilities)
Embossing powder: winter wonderland (Stampendous)


5 comments:

  1. I love how this turned out! I think the break in the red was a great idea. Beautiful card! So glad you joined us at Festive Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what our trees look like today! I love the vellum over the bright red - beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Festive Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanis, this is gorgeous! I'm so glad to see you back with us again this year, I look forward to visiting often!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tree looks so real!!! Pretty card, Tanis!!! Thanks for playing along again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that red wood!! gorgeousl thanks for finding me. now I've found you!

    ReplyDelete